1. Pauline Oliveros: 1932-2016. Frieze, December 3, 2016.
I interviewed over a dozen composers and musicians as fast as possible to put together this massive Pauline Oliveros obituary for Frieze. The obituary is currently being translated into German and will be republished in the next issue of Musik Texte.
2. Tony Conrad: 1940-2016. Frieze, April 12, 2016.
I interviewed 15 of Tony’s friends and collaborators for this mammoth obituary, which was also written in record time. I wrote too many obituaries in 2016.
3. Pipilotti Rist: Pixel Forest. 4Columns, November 4, 2016.
A piece I wrote on Pipilotti Rist and ambient music.
4. San Fran-disco: How Patrick Cowley and Sylvester Changed Dance Music Forever. The Guardian, October 26, 2016.
I interviewed a lot of people for this article on disco in San Francisco in the freewheeling 1970s.
5. The Music of Bell Labs. Red Bull Music Academy, May 30, 2016.
A heavily researched article about the early days of computer music at Bell Labs.
6. On David Bowie, Part 1. Medium, January 15, 2016.
An essay I wrote on David Bowie while traveling in India, written shortly after he died.
7. Don Buchla, Synthesizer Pioneer, Dies at 79. The Guardian, September 16, 2016.
I wrote an obituary for Don Buchla while standing on a street corner in Los Angeles in two hours, after finding out he died, and then stayed up all night to fill in the piece with more interviews after it was published.
8. A Sense of Time: An Interview with Phill Niblock. Frieze, August 23, 2016.
A massive interview I did with Phill Niblock, who is now 83 years old.
9. Rites of Passage: the Pyramids. The Wire (UK), July 2016.
A six-page feature story I wrote for The Wire on jazz in San Francisco in the 1970s, the Pyramids, and Cecil Taylor.
10. Indian Summer: Nazia Hassan and Bollywood Disco. Sight and Sound, June 2016.
An article I wrote about Bollywood disco in the early 1980s and the late, great Pakistani pop singer Nazia Hassan.
11. On John Coltrane, and San Francisco. Medium, February 25, 2016.
A meditation on the closing of the great Church of John Coltrane, and gentrification in San Francisco.
12. The New Age of New Age Music. The Guardian, October 12, 2016.
A feature story on new age music, past and present.
Special thanks to my supporters on Patreon, who help make my writing possible.